SOLD Antique 19th century Russian Orthodox Icon Smolensk Mother of God Smolenskaya
SOLD Authentic antique 19th century extremely well hand painted Russian Orthodox Icon, Smolensk Mother of God "Smolenskaya" (Hodigitria or ‘Patron of the wayfarers) egg tempera on wood panel, gold leaf with ornately embossed background wood panel supported by two planks on the back.
Legend tells that the original work was a portrait of the Mother of God painted by St Luke during her lifetime. The Virgin gazes either into the distance or at the viewer holding the child Christ seated on her left arm while she gestures towards him with her right hand. The historical origins are obscure but the type was known in the period before iconoclasm. The Tuesday procession of the Hodegetria icon kept in the Hodegon monastery in Constantinople was one of the memorable events of the city recorded by medieval visitors and pilgrims. In the eleventh century a copy made in Constantinople of the Hodegetria Virgin came to the Slavs in the retinue of the Byzantine imperial Princess Anna who married Prince Vsevelod of Chernigov in 1046. In 1101 it was installed in the Cathedral of Smolensk by Prince Vladimir Monomakh. The icon was brought to Moscow in 1308 and returned to Smolensk again in 1456. Many miracles are attributed to the work of the icon, among them the defeat of Napoleon at Borodino after it was paraded before the Russian Army in 1812
CONDITION: In good condition considering its age of 100 years.
MEASUREMENTS: 26.7 cm x 22 cm (10.5 in x 8 5/8 in).